Fri13Apr2018Sun15Apr2018Woodbrooke Quaker Study Centre, Birmingham
‘QUAKER UNDERSTANDINGS OF TRUTH – In religion, in a Quaker meeting for worship, in the media’
One of the Quaker testimonies is ‘Truth and Integrity’.
- What does this mean when we live in a pluralist society with many different religions (or none) claiming to be ‘the truth’?
- How do we find out the truth as an individual Quaker and in a Quaker meeting for
- How can we get to the truth in the media, which can so often spread lies and half-truths?
- Can we sit by as the results of ‘post-truth’ lead to more inequality, poverty, hatred and violence?
See here for details of this conference
Sat16Jun20189:30am - 5:00pmCarrs Lane Conference Centre Albert Street, Birmingham B4 7SX
A one-day conference to explore the theme of happiness and wellbeing from religious, philosophical, psychological, health and other perspectives.
From Buddhist meditation to modern secular therapy: an analysis of mindfulness in ancient and modern contexts.
- Richard King, Professor of Buddhist and Asian Studies, University of Kent, UK (Keynote Speaker)
Why I’m happy to feel sad
- Linda Gask, Emerita Professor of Psychiatry, University of Manchester, UK (Keynote Speaker)
The science of happiness
- Vishal Soni, Lead Practitioner in Science, Light Hall Academy, UK
Understanding happiness and wellbeing: a Hindu perspective
- Dr Sharada Sugirtharajah, Honorary Senior Research Fellow, University of Birmingham, UK
Happiness and health
- Emerita Professor Paula Mcgee, Birmingham City University, UK
Jesus disturbing charter of happiness
- Dr David McLoughlin, Newman University, UK
Happiness and wellbeing: an act of contemplation
- Musa Askari, Newcastle, UK
Conference fee £20.50
For further information and to book a place: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/happiness-and-wellbeing-tickets-42454677082
This event is organised by Dr Sharada Sugirtharajah: firstname.lastname@example.org and Professor Paula McGee: email@example.com
Thu28Jun2018Thu26Jul2018Amigas del Senor MonasteryAmigas del Señor Monastery for Women is a monastery practicing in the forms of Methodists and Quakers, located in the foothills near the Caribbean Sea in Limón, Colón, Honduras.Sister Alegría, formerly known as Beth Blodgett, is a pediatrician who founded the monastery in 2006. Multnomah Friends Meeting in Portland, Oregon has a Covenant of Caring with Amigas for mutual support. Their letters home can be read online at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ amigasdelsenor/.Amigas del Señor is offering a four-week program of Spiritual Formation this July.